Evolution of Augmented Reality in the Past, Present and Future
Augmented Reality is an advanced technology that enables users to interact with the digital world using real-time objects.
It is a direct or indirect view of a physical, real-world environment, whose elements are augmented by computer-generated sensory inputs such as graphics, sound, video, or GPS data.
AR boosts the view of the real world using digital technologies like Videos and 3D models.
Today, in this blog, we will be discussing the history of Augmented Reality, how AR is impacting the present world and how it will be in the near future.
Evolution of Augmented Reality in the Past or History of AR:
- In 1968, when computer scientist and Harvard professor named ‘Ivan Sutherland; teamed up with his student Bob Sprowle to create ‘The Sword of Damocles’ or the first head-mounted display, we discovered the initial stages of Augmented Reality technology.
- In 1974, the next biggest development in AR was done by Myron Krueger. This project is named as ‘VideoPlace’ that combines video cameras and projection system in order to produce shadows on the screen. This setup seems to be in an interactive user environment.
- In 1990, Tom Cadell, a Boeing Researcher, has officially used the term “Augmented Reality”.
- In 1992, Louis Rosenberg, who worked in the USAF Armstrong Research Lab had created the first real operational AR system called ‘Virtual Fixtures’. A robotic system keeps data above the work environment of the workers. This system can be considered as an early version of currently doing AR systems
- In 1994, In order to use AR, the first theatrical production was created. “Dancing in Cyberspace” was created by Julie Martin and featured acrobats in and around virtual objects on stage.
- In 1999, NASA used the Hybrid Synthetic Vision System, which integrated AR technology into their X-38 space craft. AR was used to help develop navigation during flights testing.
- In 2000, a major breakthrough in AR was made when Hirokazu Kato of the NIST, Japan (Nara Institute of Science and Technology) was established and released software with the name of ‘ARToolKit’. This software helps in capturing real-world actions and integrate with the communication of virtual objects.
- In 2003, the NFL Company utilized the Skycom, which is great for aerial views of the industry to insert a virtual down marker.
- In 2009, along with Robert Downey Junior, Esquire Magazine has used AR in their print media. Readers can see AR content when using their software on the computer to scan the barcode on the magazine.
- Thankfully, in the same year, ARToolKit made AR technology accessible to all internet browsers.
- In 2013, Volkswagen used AR as their car manual. Using the MARTA application on the iPad helps customers see the vehicle’s internal performance so service mechanics can find out what they are dealing with.
- In 2014, the world largest company, Google had created a Google Glass with AR and made available to consumers. But, it wasn’t successful in the global market as developers expected. So, Google has withdrawn its Google Glasses in Dec 2015.
- In 2016, Augmented Reality became a sensation in the world as it entered the day to day life of humans through games. AR gamed named “Pokemon Go” became popular and more than 100 million people were downloaded this game via apps stores.
- The game allows users to watch Pokemon characters bounce in their hometown. The main aim of this mobile gaming application is to capture pocket monsters and use those monsters to fight with others locally, in Augmented Reality gyms.
- In 2017, IKEA launched an AR-based app with the name of IKEA Place, which completely transforms the retail industry soon. This application enables customers to see their house decoration option with IKEA furniture before buying a product.
- In 2018, again, a mobile game with the name of “Harry Potter: The Hogwarts Mystery” has become the more popular across the world. Along with entertaining people, especially kids, this app also creates a feel like Hogwarts around them, while being able to cast spells and learn from Hogwarts teachers. This app has downloaded by over 10 million people so far from Google Play Store.
- In 2019, a football club incorporated Augmented Reality into audience experience on its stadium, immersing the Manchester City tour in an occasion of its 125th birthday. The audience would be able to interact and sit next to Manchester City manager named, ‘Pep Guardiola’ at the top bench of the press conference. In addition, the tour features 360-degree movie screen and 3D holographic content, which is designed to provide an amazing experience for fans.
Also Read: Top 10 AR and VR Applications in Business
Evolution of Augmented Reality in the Present:
Today, Augmented Reality is at the forefront and is known as one of the most promising technologies. When someone uses the word “AR” these days, most people immediately look at their smartphone.
- Now, let’s have a look at some of the examples that are splashing into our everyday lives.If you are at your favorite music concert and would like to know it will be playing next, just point your mobile device at the exhibitor and can find real-time information on announcements, upcoming shows, and ticket discounts and offers.
- I think most of you troubled some times when reading small letters on your medicine prescription bottle label. Don’t worry! Augmented Reality has completed this changed. Now, patients can get easily get the information like dosage, expiry date, side effects, ingredients used in the medicine, etc through 3D glasses that are made of using AR.
- Are you a sports lover and watches sports with your friends? If you would like to know the athletics statics while watching game, just point your Smartphone at the coach or player and you will get sports insights and information – as same as you browse on the internet. All this is all happens with AR.
- If you want to purchase clothes by just sitting at home, and at the same time, you want to make a trail with your preferred clothes, AR helps you out! Thanks to AR technology, now you can try clothes virtually and can see on a screen whether the color suits and size fits you. If everything is fine, you can place an order.
In addition, there are plenty of social advantages to Augmented Reality technology, which I can’t mention all those in this article. You can take the Pokemon Go craze as an example. It carried thousands of people out of bed and ran around, which was great for obesity. AR also supports police catch criminals and people address issues like depression and illnesses.
Evolution of Augmented Reality in the Future:
AR and VR are the most buzzing words in the world and it is well recognized as a new, innovative and creative way for brand awareness and customer engagement. Being a techie is an amazing thing. Undoubtedly, Augmented Reality has unlimited power and potential.
According to the researchers, tablets and smart phones will not be the only platform for Augmented Reality in the future. Research into the inclusion of AR functionality in contact lenses and other wearable devices continues rapidly.
The main aim of AR is to build an intuitive and convenient involvement, so there is a perception that smartphone will be replaced, but not sure what that re-establishment will be. Even Glasses are also getting a new look as “smart glasses” are developed for the blind.
We categorize the various industries that see increased AR activity in the near future. Look at the following:
- AR in E-Commerce — Almost all the ecommerce companies will be integrating augmented reality into their mobile apps and websites. In the retail industry, it leads the user to smoothly “dress” applications in jackets, sunglasses, jewelry, and footwear through phone camera
- AR in Digital Marketing — Augmented reality continues to enhance the way customers engage with business brands. Marketing AR appears in gaming applications, street signs, interactions, and packaging with some other products.
- Educational Resources — Educational researchers are trying to find better and simple ways to use augmented reality in training situations that makes students understand well. The healthcare and military industries are striving to develop good AR training simulators.
- AR in Geolocation — The efficiency of mobiles/tablets that informs us about our surroundings is greatly developed over time. AR helps everything from restaurant suggestions to real-time travel consultants.
Augmented reality is impacting the current world at a rapid speed and every industry moves vertically. It will be used by everyone, including professionals and consumers, for years to come. It is becoming an important tool for educational purposes in schools/colleges across the globe.
AR certainly offers endless promises and when combined with mobile device technology, it definitely proves to be very powerful. AR allows for geo-tracking that gives users amazing experiences.
If you are looking to build an Augmented Reality-based app for your business, contact us right now.